Objectives and aims
The Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators (Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V. (BDÜ)) has represented the interests of interpreters and translators for nearly 60 years – both in Germany and abroad.
BDÜ represents around 80% of all translators and interpreters who belong to a professional association in Germany and is a point of contact for political institutions, industry, trade and education.
The BDÜ mission statement offers a detailed overview of our basic principles and our associations's activities.
- Regulate the access to the professions of interpreting and translating
- Enhance training and professional development by adding practical relevance and conveying in-depth knowledge of specific subject areas (specialization)
- Standardize professional interpreting and translating examinations
- Achieve Germany-wide standardized regulation of the certification, accreditation and public appointment of interpreters and translators
- Achieve nationwide standardized guidelines for translations of official documents
- Inform the general public about the work of interpreters and translators and the importance of these professions for the nation and society in general
- Lobby legislative, judicial and public authorities and the top-level bodies representing trade and industry
BDÜ's specific commitments
- Enhance its members’ qualifications by organizing its own portfolio of professional development events
- Promote appropriate fees and working conditions
- Advocate proper compliance with the regulations on engaging and remunerating sworn interpreters and sworn or accredited translators for services to judicial and public administrative bodies
- Lobby for improvements to relevant German legislation, such as the German Judicial Remuneration and Compensation Act (JVEG)
- Foster cooperation and exchange of ideas among BDÜ members by arranging regional meetings and other events